Current Work Experience:
Future Faculty Teaching Fellow, Butler University, Indianapolis, IN
- Spring 2018
Teaching a first-year seminar course in critical thinking and literature in conjunction with Butler University’s Visiting Writers Series.
Teaching “Introduction to Creative Writing: Prose” — fiction and creative nonfiction — to undergraduate students at the 200 level.
- Fall 2017
Taught “Reading For Writing” a class on examining literature for craft to MFA students
Taught “Introduction to Creative Writing: Prose” — fiction and creative nonfiction — to undergraduate students at the 200 level.
Associate Instructor, Indiana University-Bloomington, IN
- Spring 2017
Taught200-level undergraduates “Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction”.
- Fall 2016
Taught undergraduate students at the 200 level a Literary Editing and Publishing class, where the students put together a literary magazine.
- Fall 2014 – Spring 2015
Taught the discussion sections of an “Introduction to Creative Writing” — fiction and poetry — lecture class of undergraduate students at the 100 level.
Instructor, Lifelong Learning Center, Indiana University-Bloomington, IN
- Spring 2018
Teaching a six-week creative writing course, “Eat, Memory” on the Personal Essay to ‘lifelong’ students.
- Fall 2017
Taught two sections (due to high enrollment) of a six-week course, “Write Every Day? Developing A Writing Habit through Short Fiction,” to ‘lifelong’ (continuing education) students
- Spring 2017
Taught a six-week course, “In A Flash – 1,000 Word Fiction” to‘lifelong’ students.
- Fall 2016
Taught two sections (due to high enrollment) of a six-week course, “Telling My Tale: Memoir as a Form of Storytelling,” to ‘lifelong’ students.
- Spring 2016
Taught a six-week course, “The Food of Fiction: A Workshop to Cook up Stories” to‘lifelong’ students.
Creative Writing Instructor, Girls Inc., Indiana University-Bloomington, IN
- Spring and Fall 2015
Ran creative writing workshops for students in grades 3-5 in a local after-school program.
Associate Director, Indiana University Writers’ Conference
- September 2015 – July 2017
Co-managed the Indiana University Writers’ Conference (IUWC) for two years, including selecting faculty, promoting the event, managing interns, and logistics.
Fiction Editor, The Offing magazine
- April 2015 – present
Read, select, and edit fiction for The Offing magazine.
Contributing Editor, Boulevard magazine
- January 2018 – present
Read, select, and edit fiction and nonfiction for Boulevard magazine.
Past Work Experience:
Co-founder, TakeTwo Services, New York, NY
July 2011 – August 2014
As co-founder and chief of communications at TakeTwo Services, provided overall communications strategy to nonprofits, created and implemented tactics and campaigns for building brands, audience outreach, and online engagement including social media. Oversaw all design and production of branding and marketing collateral in all media. Trained nonprofit staff on marketing tools and strategies.
Director of External Relations, International Coalition of Sites of Conscience, New York, NY
November 2007 – February 2013
Oversaw external relations – marketing, public relations, and online engagement – for a network of more than 150 museums, memorials and history/memory initiatives in 46 countries. Defined core audiences (from students to policymakers), designed and executed campaigns to reach them including creating appropriate messaging and tools (print, multi-media/video, press, social media). As part of the senior management team, provided direction for the organization’s growth, and managed staff and budgets.
Regional Communications Director, Teach For America, New York, NY
October 2006 – November 2007
Generated press coverage and public relations for seven Teach for America (TFA) sites in five states. This required building relationships with local media, pitching and placing stories, monitoring press coverage, creating media materials (press releases, talking points, etc.), and preparing spokespeople for interviews.
Community Outreach & Media Director, Sakhi for South Asian Women, New York, NY.
May 2003 – October 2006
Managed all communications – email marketing, website updates, video, and led the re-branding including creating new print collateral, videos and revamping the website. Developed and executed advocacy campaigns employing various media (direct mail, online engagement, etc.) and designed targeted promotional materials appropriate to the audience (individuals or foundations). Also conducted extensive outreach in the South Asian community by organizing public events, holding community discussions and facilitating workshops around violence against women in immigrant communities.
Recent Professional Development:
- Moderator, Panel: “Who Are We Writing For? Who Are We Writing Toward?” AWP2018 Association of Writer & Writing Programs Annual Conference, Tampa, March 2018 (anticipated)
- Discussion Facilitator, Reading Group on Viet Thanh Nguyen’s “The Refugees”, Indiana University, October 2017
- Participant, Faculty Academy on Excellence in Teaching (FACET) Retreat, May 2017
- Speaker, Asian American Studies Program Recognition Reception, Indiana University, April 2017
- Presenter, “Writing Guantánamo: Literature, Memory, & Justice” at 2017 Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference, “Words Matter: Politics, Rhetoric, and Social Justice,” at Indiana University, Bloomington, March 2017
- Presenter, “Picturing Guantánamo: How Do We See A Place & People” at 11th Annual Indiana University Landscape, Space, and Place Conference, Indiana University, March 2017
- Panelist, “Rising Up: South Asian, Arab, Muslim, & Sikh communities in post-9/11 America”, Indiana University, February 2017
- Speaker, “The Meaning of Words,” International Education Week, Indiana University, November 2016
- Tabling and Attendee, AWP2016 Association of Writer & Writing Programs Annual Conference, Los Angeles, March 2016
- Presenter, “The Meaning of Food in The Novel The Meaning of Words” at 2016 Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference, Digesting Discourses: Taste, Appetite, and Consumption, Indiana University, March 2016
- M.F.A (Fiction), Indiana University-Bloomington, Bloomington, Indiana (Expected May 2018)
- M.A. Media Studies, New School for Social Research, New York (December 2002)
- M.A. Communication, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad (April 1999)
- VONA (Voices of Our Nation’s Arts) Miami Workshop with Chris Abani (January 2013)
- Gotham Writers’ Workshop: Fiction 101 (Jan – April 2011), Advanced Fiction (Sept – Dec 2012)
- Travel Channel Academy Certificate in Video Journalism (July 2007)